Monday, October 22, 2012

6 month review

I had my 6 month review back at the start of the month, seems like only yesterday I started! It's all going very quick.

You all know the sorts of things that I have been up to over the past 6 months and there are plenty more adventures to be had before the end! Once the outside work at Folkestone is completely over (maybe by the start of November) I'll be moving on to the next excavation project which I can't mention yet as nothing is set in stone, but be rest assured I will update as soon as possible! I do really need to crack on with gathering my NVQ material and looking at the gaps. I'm still very confused about it, it doesn't make any sense to me! I seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick when it comes to what classes as suitable evidence for the module points but I'm sure we'll get there in the end.

As far as community archaeology goes I am really enjoying the experience and feel this is something I might, hopefully, remain in or at least a part of during my archaeological career. Although a little early to predict but it seems very unlikely that I will be able to remain with the Trust at the end of my placement, however, it is all early days yet and we are working hard on a project which might keep me in employment. Some people have asked if I will stay in archaeology if there are no community-based jobs and the answer is of course! I'm not naive, I'm happy to do anything archaeology related just as long as I have a job and can stay doing what I love! I can always keep an eye out, or maybe even set my own project up!

All in all the placement has gone very well so far. I hope all of us placements get an opportunity to get together before the end as we haven't had much contact with each other, though it is a little tricky given that most are in Wales and there is at least one in Scotland. I am trying to gain a little bit of experience in everything to do with archaeology so my CV looks nice and tasty should the worst happen next year; luckily I have some very supportive colleagues and I'm getting to do all sorts of things I wouldn't normally get the chance to do.



....to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment